As a matchmaker who has worked with many clients in the Midwest, and now in Scottsdale, I find myself reminding ladies of the dos and don’ts of a first date. Here is 10 things that women should do and not do on a first date.
1. DO Speak Up: If your date asks what you’d like to eat, drink, or share for dessert, don’t say “I don’t care, what do you want?” Wishy-washy can get real old, real fast. Give the appearance you know what you like.
2. DON’T Wear Things You Can’t Walk, Wear, Eat, Breathe Or Talk In:This should be totally obvious. If you look physically uncomfotable, your date will notice and wonder if they are the cause of it.
3. DO Be On Time: Would you want them to show up late? Probably not. People generally like reliable people. Even fasionably late on the first date is not a good idea.
4. DON’T Drink Too Much: A cocktail or two can be fun and loosen the mood, but know your limits. You don’t want to find yourself spending the night with someone you just met.
5. DON’T Obsess Over Your Appearance: Focus your energy on making solid conversation instead of worrying about how you look. Vanity is a good thing but not a good topic or practice on the first date.
6. DO Put Your Phone Away: The act of obsessively checking your phone every two minutes could be a bona fide deal breaker. Phubbing is ok when you’re alone but not on a first date. You may give someone the impression you have something else going on, like another person in your life.
7. DO Ask Questions: Keep them semi-general (work, family, hobbies, etc.). Try to flow the conversation, don’t make it look like a job interview or deposition.
8. DO Offer To Pay: If you offer to pay or split, be prepared to actually pay or split. Most men will usually insist on paying. If they start the dutch conversation with you then it may be a red flag.
9. DON’T Stalk After The Date: If you had a wonderful time and feel like shooting your date a casual text later that night or the next day, go for it. Just maybe don’t stalk and accidentally like their Instagram photos.
10. DO Be Positive: No matter how shitty of a day you had at work, or whether the restaurant you’re at has terrible service, or the movie you saw is total crap—try your best to stay positive when getting to know someone.
Hopefully these 10 things that women should do and not do on a first date will help.